1.2 Installing WordPress Using Your Domain Name + Enabling SSL (Video)

Course Navigation     

In this step, we're going to go through the process of installing a fresh version of WordPress into your brand new domain name. Once again, if you're familiar with this step already, or you have your WordPress website set up, along with all of the necessary plugins installed, simply move to Lesson 2.

You can watch the video below as well as follow any written instructions included in this step.

(VIDEO: INSTALLING WORDPRESS USING YOUR DOMAIN NAME)

In the previous step, we went through the process of purchasing a domain name as well as obtaining some web hosting.

We're now going to install WordPress using our brand new domain name. In addition, I'll also show you how to enable SSL for your domain name using Let's Encrypt.

What is WordPress and why should you use it?

Once again, I will assume that you are new to WordPress, so let me begin by explaining a little bit what WordPress is:

WordPress is a free open-source CMS (content management system) and is the most popular and flexible tool for creating websites.

Now, as mentioned in the course information page, this video course is for creating a freelancer website using a self-hosted WordPress website.

So, if you are using WordPress.com, this course will not be of any value to you. This is because Oxygen Builder, along with many of the plugins and technology we need for our freelance website, will not work with WordPress.com websites.

I want to outline a few other reasons why using WordPress (the open-source platform) is beneficial:

WordPress features plugin architecture and a template system. Meaning we can use a plugin like Oxygen Builder, and various other plugins and technologies, to build a fully personalized website from the ground up.

There are very few design limitations with WordPress. And using a site builder plugin like Oxygen Builder helps to remove further if not all limitations from existence.

Now, back to installing WordPress...

Installing WordPress

The process is actually very easy to do and usually only takes a few clicks.

Again, we are using Bluehost to demonstrate this. However, all good web hosting providers will offer a similar quick-install feature.

When you're ready, begin watching the short video above:

In the video, we will install WordPress into our primary domain name, as well as enable a free SSL certificate using Lets Encrypt.

Summary Of Step

OK, so we've successfully installed WordPress and we now have a nice blank template to begin building our freelancer website on. In the next few steps, we'll begin configuring our setup and installing all of the necessary plugins. See you there.